- “Interdependence, Identity, and China-South Korea Political Relations: Asia’s Paradox,” Asian Survey 61-3 (2021): 473-499.
- “Regional Economic Integration on China’s Inland Periphery: The Jilin-Northeast Asia Case,” The Pacific Review, April 2021.
- “China’s Major-Powers Discourse in the Xi Jinping Era: Tragedy of Great-Power Politics Revisited?” Asian Perspective 40-3 (2016): 493-522.
- “Cheonan and Yeonpyeong: The Northeast Asian Response to North Korea’s Provocations,” RUSI Journal 156-2 (2011): 74-81 (with Scott Snyder).
- “The Obama Administration and Preparations for North Korean Instability,” International Journal of Korean Unification Studies 18-2 (2009): 1-29 (with Scott Snyder).
- “Chinese Views of South Korea: Aligning Elite and Popular Debates,” in Joint US-Korea Academic Studies 31, ed. Gilbert Rozman (Washington: Korea Economic Institute, 2020), 153-169.
- “The Impact of Chinese National Identity on Sino-South Korean Relations,” in Joint U.S.-Korea Academic Studies 28, ed. Gilbert Rozman (Washington: Korea Economic Institute, 2017), 98-111.
- “China’s Policy toward the Korean Peninsula: Domestic Perspectives,” in China and International Security: History, Strategy, and 21st-Century Policy, eds. Donovan Chau and Thomas Kane (Santa Barbara: Praeger, 2014), 55-77.
- “China’s Approach to North Korea and Northeast Asian Security Cooperation,” in North Korea and Security Cooperation in Northeast Asia, eds. Tae-Hwan Kwak and Seung-Ho Joo (Burlington: Ashgate, 2014), 155-174 (with Scott Snyder).
- “China’s National Identity and the Sino-U.S. National Identity Gap: The View from South Korea,” in Joint U.S.-Korea Academic Studies 24, ed. Gilbert Rozman (Washington: Korea Economic Institute, 2013), 97-112.
- “National Identities and Sino-South Korean Relations,” in National Identities and Bilateral Relations, ed. Gilbert Rozman (Stanford and Washington: Stanford University Press and Woodrow Wilson Center Press, 2013), 95-126 (with Scott Snyder).
- China-Korea Relations, Comparative Connections, Pacific Forum (with Scott Snyder since 2008).
- “Northeast China: Still Waiting for Regionalism,” The Diplomat, May 2021.
- “North Korea’s Regional Integration: An Enduring Dilemma for China, South Korea, and the United States,” The Asan Forum, Feb 2019.
- “South Koreans will elect a new president on Tuesday. Here’s what to expect,” Monkey Cage – The Washington Post, May 2017 (with Celeste Arrington).
- “Chinese Books on China and Global Governance,” The Asan Forum 3-5 (2015).
- “South Korea’s Place in China’s Foreign Policy Discourse,” The Asan Forum 2-3 (2014).
- “Sino-South Korea Ties Warming?” The Diplomat, Sep 2011.
- “The China-South Korea-Japan Triangle,” Asia Pacific Bulletin 115, East-West Center (2011).
- “North Korea’s Provocations and Their Impact on Northeast Asian Regional Security,” The Asia Foundation Center for US-Korea Policy (2011).
- “China-ROK Trade Disputes and Implications for Managing Security Relations,” Korea Economic Institute Academic Paper Series 5-8 (2010): 1-10 (with Scott Snyder).
- “Responding to Change on the Korean Peninsula: Impediments to U.S.-South Korea-China Coordination,” CSIS Freeman Chair in China Studies (2010) (with Bonnie Glaser, Scott Snyder, and David Szerlip).
- “North Korea Contingency Planning and US-ROK Cooperation,” The Asia Foundation Center for US-Korea Policy (2009).
- “Provincial Impacts of Multilateral Cooperation: The Greater Tumen Initiative and Environmental Protection in Jilin,” China Environment Series 10, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (2008/9): 160-164.